Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, May 27, 2013

In Memorium

I don't know about you, but things feel a little crazy to me these days.

The shootings in Auroa, CO and Sandy Hook, CN. 

The way Hurricane Sandy tore through the East Coast and the Tornado tore up Moore, OK.

The insanity in the Middle East and Korea.

The scandal of sexual violence and rape in our Military. 

I'm grateful for those who "made the ultimate sacrifice" for this country, whom we honor today, but given the human failings which have been the major contributing factor to climate change and the killing of the innocent, I sometimes wonder about the nature of that sacrifice.

I came across a statement from Chief Seattle the other day which has become my Memorial Day prayer.  I share it here with you in the hope that we may one day know peace.
We are all children of the Great Spirit.
     We all belong to Mother Earth.
     Our planet is in great trouble.
If we keep on carrying grudges
     and do not work together,
          we will all die.
Holy, gracious and loving God, we know you by many names: make us one, even as you are one, that we may be reconciled with you and one another and restored to wholeness and holiness of life.  Amen.

6 comments:

RENZ said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Namaste. May the God within me greet the God within you.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, Renz

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Indeed, Anonymous. Next time, please leave your name.

Sextant said...

Wonderful prayer by both Seattle and you.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, Sextant