Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Morning After

Red Cross Shelter at the Indian River High School in Dagsboro, DE
We're fine here in Ms. Conroy's tiny apartment in NJ. The pups are all fine. We lost electricity between 3 - 9 AM but everything is back on now along with the cable television and internet.

Our children all seem to be fine, including our daughter on the UES in NYC (between York and the River), even though there were reported 25 foot surges in the NY harbor during the worst of the hurricane.

The word from our neighbors and friends on Rehoboth Bay is not as hopeful. Long Neck, where we live, was under Severe Tornado Watch from 7 - 9 PM. I haven't heard anything about a tornado in Long Neck but my friends tell me that a tornado hit in Lewes - just the next town over - and leveled two houses and did serious damage to another couple of homes.

A tornado reportedly destroyed one airplane and seriously damaged a few others at Dover Air Force Base.

The Beaches and boardwalks at Rehoboth and Bethany apparently took a big hit. The satellite images look pretty bad. We'll be able to tell better over the next few days just how bad it is.

But, so far, no real word about Long Neck in general or my neighborhood in particular. I must admit that my imagination - often a blessing to my creative mind - has become my worst enemy.

I confess that I find myself suddenly teary-eyed shortly after a knot of anxiety grips my stomach and a wave of nausea causes me to sit down and take some deep breaths.

Makes. Ms. Conroy. Crazy.

She has decided to deal with it by taking a nap.

I submit that both responses are different sides of the same coin which is the currency of anxiety about the unknown.

Compounding the situation is the fact that we're not certain when we'll be able to get to our home to see how much of our home is left.

The Wayne before the Storm
The Garden State Parkway will be reopened at 1 PM today, but we have no idea when the flooding will recede and we'll be able to drive back into our neighborhood. We may have to stay in a hotel for a few more days, but the plan right now is to leave tomorrow for Rehoboth Bay.

The report is that there have been 11 deaths attributed to Hurricane Irene: one death reported in Connecticut, Maryland and Florida, five in North Carolina and three in Virginia, including two children.

That's a remarkably low death toll.

That's hardly a comfort to those 11 families. Let's keep them in our prayers.

I know how they feel.

This could have been much, much worse. I don't yet know if it hasn't been worse than what I currently know it to be. Problem is, I don't know what I don't know. You know?

So, in the morning after the hurricane, I'm trying not to eat the Bread of Anxiety. It's so hard to do. Lack of information tends to be the leven that make it rise.

Thank you for all your prayers and notes of support and love and concern. It really does help.

I'll keep you all posted. That's a promise.

UPDATE:  Got a call from one of our neighbors. Our we cottage is safe and sound. There is still some serious flooding - he recommended not getting out of the car without wearing Wellies - but we can return home. And, and, and . . . . we have a home to which to return. 

No, that's not another earthquake you feel. That would be me, doing a happy-happy-joy-joy dance.

Prayers, please, for the people in the State of Connecticut who are without electricity and the people of the State of Vermont who are enduring terrible flooding.

Even after we say, "Goodnight Irene" the destruction left in the path of this hurricane continues to be a nightmare for many hundreds of thousands of people.

13 comments:

the cajun said...

City reopened after 48 hours. Not much damage nearby. A few downed branches, is all. A tornado reportedly touched down in Lewes and severely damaged a home.
People are still being asked to stay off the roads if possible.

No news out of Long Neck, but you can check in for updates at the Cape Gazette.

http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/

Waiting for a bit of sun and the winds to subside. DL open tomorrow for lunch.

Safe trip down tomorrow. You know where I will be.

Oh, and nice picture! ;-)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, Darlin. Looks like all of Long Neck / Millsboro is still out of electric but that should return overnight. Maybe we'll see you at DL for lunch ;~). Got any gluten-free tacos?

Isn't that picture just CLASSIC LSD?

Brian said...

Elizabeth, I live in Southwest Florida and have been through several hurricanes -- I know all about that anxiety you speak of. One of the hardest parts is the waiting to see what the hurricane has wrought in its wake. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers, this day and always.

Will J said...

"I submit that both responses are different sides of the same coin which is the currency of anxiety about the unknown."

"So, in the morning after the hurricane, I'm trying not to eat the Bread of Anxiety. It's so hard to do. Lack of information tends to be the leven that make it rise."

Even an EFM dropout like me can recognize two great theological reflections.

Prayers for you and your community for peace and patience in the face of the unknown and for the confidence that you will have the gifts that you need at the time and in the measure that you need them as you walk forward into and through this.

Will J

Fran said...

Glad to see you are all OK. I hope that things are not too bad in DE when you get back there.

JCF said...

Prayers and more prayers!

Karen said...

Thought about you when watching the Weather Channel. Hope you find things in reasonable shape when you get home. Have a safe trip. Here in Northern Virginia we were definately in the "not as bad as it could have been" catagory. Thoughts and prayers for those who did not have it so easy with this storm.

textjunkie said...

best wishes that everything is still in one piece!!

it's margaret said...

We got our power back about noon --some damage in the 'hood --mostly trees down on or in houses and water in every imaginable place --but we are all good. Mr. Witty says he'll take an earthquake to a bad storm any day of the week.... the roar of the wind was too un-nerving. Keeping you in my prayers as you return home. Travel safely.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, y'all for your prayers and kind words of support. I've updated the post with some good news that our home appears to safe and sound. TBTG and WHEW! I leave at 10 AM tomorrow morning. I didn't sleep much last night so I'm planning on sleeping in a bit tomorrow morning.

Again, thanks so much for your care and concern and prayers.

Now, pray for folks in CT and VT. My heart goes out to them all.

Kirkepiscatoid said...

So glad to hear the cottage (at least the external part) is safe and sound. At least the outside, anyway.

Meanwhile, put the bread of anxiety down. (Kirke slaps Elizabeth's hand.)

As for the wellies, I wish I could virtually let you borrow my wonderful just-below-the-knee-high chore boots from Farm and Home. No pasture-dweller is without a good set of rubber chore boots. Of course, mine have a hint of donkey briquettes and mule muffins on them, but they would work just fine for you!

I'm reminded of my most vivid thought as I was driving like a fool, a mere five minutes ahead of the Kirksville tornado of 2009:

"I guess I could die in this."

(long mental pause)

"Well, I don't have time to think about THAT. I just want go home."

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Prayers for a safe journey back to lsd.

We finally got our power back in Maryland this a.m.

Maria

Paul said...

Fretted about you and my east coast friends this weekend. Glad your home came through. Prayers for those who have suffered, and peace for you and yours.