Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, June 04, 2010

A star is born

Last night was Ms. Mackie's dance recital.

This is the first, only and final Proud Nana Alert. Anyone with an intolerance of sweet things or a predisposition to diabetes or tooth decay may want to stop reading and not go any further.

Yes, it's true. I cook. I read. I even type.

AND, I'm a very proud grandmother.

Ms. Mackie started her dance career with ballet a few years back. I bought her her first tutu, tights and ballet slippers.

She's now into 'lyrical' - or contemporary - dance. It's a modern dance form which fuses modern dance, jazz and ballet. It's very expressive, even including facial expressions in the choreography.

Perfect for a budding Drama T'ween.

If you're on FaceBook, click here and you can see a clip of her performance.

Earlier this year, she was telling me how much she LOVED lyrical dance. She was describing a routine where she and another girl lifted another with their fingers.

"We have to put our fingers like this," she said, clasping her hands together but leaving her two index ("pointer") fingers extended, "and then put them in her armpits."

She was amazed how easy it was to lift someone with "just four fingers."

"There is one problem, though," she said thoughtfully.

"Really? What?" I asked.

"Well," said Mackie, "I think she needs deodorant because after class my fingers smell Really Bad."

Ya gotta love that age.

Last night, she did us all proud.

After the performance, we went to Friendlies for ice cream.

Mackie had a "build your own Sundae" with mint chocolate chip ice cream, M&Ms, sprinkles and hot fudge.

Ms. Abbi had mint chocolate chip with whipped creme and a cherry.

I don't know what heaven is like, but if it's anything like last night, I can wait.

I mean, why rush when I can enjoy it all here and now? ;~)

No comments: