Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, February 05, 2010

We're about to have us some weather

This is the way the front of the house looks from the remains of last week's storm. We're about to have us some more 'weather'. At least, that's what the Delmarva Peninsula Baymen told me this mornin', up to Perry's Deli at the top of the street.

The Governor of DE has declared a state of emergency. A Nor'easter is on it's way. The prediction is for anywhere from 12 - 28 inches of snow, with thunder and lightening and the possibility of coastal flooding.

I sure know how to pick a weekend away at Llangollen, our wee cottage on Rehoboth Bay. Just a quiet day and a half, unplugged and relaxed.

Right.

I spent the morning in search of a snow shovel and an ice melt. There isn't any on Long Neck. None in Rehoboth Beach, either. I checked Lowe's, Home Depot, and even Walmart (God help me!). Nothing.

I went to Happy Harry's, CVS and True Hardware. Finally, on my way home, I stopped in to see Mr. Caswell at Caswell's Hardware Store. For $14 I got a "loose gravel" shovel, which Mr. Caswell said would be the best to shovel snow.

Instead of ice melt, I have two five pound bags of old fashioned kitty litter - $6 for the two bags. At Mr. Casewell's suggestion, I also got two flashlights and more lamp fluid for the two "hurricane lamps" I have here at Llangollen.

I had packed my iPod /radio travel alarm clock which is all powered up, as are my Kindle and my phone and my lap top.

Yes, I went out and got milk, bread, eggs, coffee and toilet paper. Oh, and chocolate. I have learned that as long as there's chocolate, you can get through just about anything - even a Nor'easter.

I'm set.

The snow is supposed to start later on this afternoon and continue through the night and most of Saturday, ending around 5 PM.

The folks at the Community Center know I'm here, as does Mr. Ollis, the President of the Homeowner's Association. He's a peach of a guy. I feel safe just knowing that he knows I'm here.

Of course, I may not make it back to church for Sunday. I do plan to leave as soon as I can on Saturday but I suspect it may take a bit of work to get me shoveled out from under.

If need be, I'll leave early Sunday morning. I'll miss the 8 AM Service, but should be there in plenty of time for the 10. Jon's preaching and is happy to preside, so 'no harm, no foul'.

I've got my favorite snuggle pillow, my comforter, a prayer shawl, and a good book to read on Kindle ('Alice').

I'll leave you with this lovely piece of nostalgia from "White Christmas" (thanks, Frank). A lovely, light flurry just started to fall on the marsh.

It's not going to stay pretty for long. I'll keep you posted. Until then, let's just stay with the romance part of snow. It will make Jon happy.

8 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Stay positive, I think it will stay pretty. How can it not in such a positively gorgeous place with your karma.

Bruce said...

Be safe and careful particularly on the roads! Nothing to play with as you well know! Too bad you can't stay put for awhile. I always love to get "snowed in."

David@Montreal said...

just a thought- don't forget to pack at least a partial bag of that litter in the car when heading back to Saint Paul, in case you get stuck enroute.

One giant hug on the way too

motheramelia said...

This is a very strange winter. The last three storms have missed us in Maine. It's been cold, but there only an inch on the ground. The next chance of snow here is next Wednesday.

Stay safe and warm and enjoy the chocolate. Nothing better when it's nasty out.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I'm thinking very positive thoughts, Lis, and don't plan to drive until it's time to go back to NJ, Bruce.

Good call on the kitty liter, David. I'll do just that for the ride home. The hug is keeping me warm.

It is strange winter, isn't it, Motheramelia? You are in the "state of my heart". The Cathedral of St. Luke in Portland was my sponsoring congregation. This is the kind of storm we used to get all the time in Maine.

"Snowcopolapse," indeed.

susankay said...

Elizabeth --- immediately thought of you when I heard of this storm. Keep cozy.

Of course, although we are about to be slammed with days and days of snow, the coastal media apparently assumes we are tough frontier types and therefor not newsworthy. Ask your prayers since our flatland kids and grandkids wil be trying to reach us in the middle of the storm on Sunday.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Hopefully, it will all be over by Sunday. Prayers ascend for you.

Unknown said...

This summer the snow shovel will be a super asset when making sand castles!