Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, December 19, 2009

My day


I got on the road this morning at 9:15 AM. 

I got home sweet (Jesus!) home at 5:45.  That would be PM.

This is what I saw most of the day.

Not pretty.

Dangerous, in fact.

I passed at least 10 cars and/or trucks which had skidded off the road.  No fender-benders.  And, apparently, no one hurt.  Thanks be to God.

Lucy True Bug (my VW convertible bug) was a real trooper.  She kept me steady and on the road safely.  I did some slow, deep breathing.  Stayed focused.  Kept praying. We did just fine.

Whoever invented front wheel drive is my s/hero!

If you are in the Northeast and part of this storm know exactly what I mean.

Those of you who are, stay warm.  Be safe.  Love your families and cherish them.

Those of you are aren't, please pray for those of us who are.  And, be safe and love your families and cherish them.  It's a good thing to do no matter what the weather.

It's brutal out there.

9 comments:

Karen said...

So glad you made it home OK. We are in DC -- 17 inches of snow in our front yard. That was some hours ago and it hasn't stopped yet. Slowing down a lot though. Good time to just mellow out at home. Everything cancelled for tomorrow. Tomorrow's plans are baking and Christmas music. Thoughts and prayers for those who have had to be out in this.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

It was NOT supposed to be this bad, right, Karen?

Karen said...

No, it wasn't. Snow bound is not what I had planned for the Sunday before Christmas. . . That cantata may be sung in January. . .
On the other hand being forced to stop frantic activity and have time to think and enjoy the company of family is not all bad.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

If the Christmas Pageant has to be rescheduled, I'd much rather an Epiphany Pageant, anyway. Me? I'm looking forward to a great Sunday afternoon.

gerry said...

Up here in the Southern Tier of New York, we are far enough inland to have avoided the worst of the snow and ice.

Instead we seem to have gotten a grand high dose of frigid cold. Given my druthers I will take the snow -- you can't x country ski on ice. Believe me I've tried and fallen spectacularly enough times to prove myself right. Glad you're all safe and warm.

Bake some cookies and muddle the hot chocolate, and enjoy the loved ones.

Fran said...

Albany is cold but the only snow we have is from over a week ago.

Stay safe and warm, glad you were able to get home ok. Prayers for those traveling or trying to do so!

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Um...scuze me. Rev. Dr. Carry Nation of the hands free cell phone world...did you take that picture with your cell phone in a moving vehicle? Hmmmmm?

Of course this question is being asked by Dr. I-flagrantly-violated that until-my new-truck-had-bluetooth. My sins are ever before me.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. Leave it to you.

FYI - I drive with a Jabra hands-free device. I obviously took that picture with my iPhone when no one else was even remotely near me and on a rare patch of road that had actually been plowed and sanded.

That wasn't so a few miles before and up the road. Both hands on the wheel - knuckles (and finger nails) white.

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Well, it is always the child in the room that is constantly in trouble that screams "FOUL!" the loudest, you know.

Your penance will be to encounter three minivan moms over the next week, I believe.

(My word verification is "steers." You can't make this stuff up.)