Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Of the Meaning of Progress: Measuring Black Citizenship


I highly commend to you the three lectures given by Melissa Harris-Lacewell: "Of the Meaning of Progress: Measuring Black Citizenship" given at the W.E.B.Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA earlier this month.

I listened to them most of yesterday afternoon as I tended my garden in this glorious weather we're having in the Northeast Corridor. I have found them informative, challenging and inspiring, and I trust you will, as well.

They are:

Lecture 1:
Subjects or Citizens: Feeling Black in Post-Katrina America
Lecture 2:
Faith of Our Mothers: Women Bearing the Burdens of Citizenship
Lecture 3:
I am Obama: Forging a New Black Citizenship


You can find them here:

Melissa Harris-Lacewell is Associate Professor of Politics and African American Studies at Princeton University. Her writings have been published in newspapers throughout the country. She has provided expert commentary on U.S. elections, racial issues, religious questions and gender issues for many television, radio and print sources both in the United States and around the world.

Together with Yolanda Pierce, the Associate Professor of African American Religion and Literature at Princeton Theological Seminary and Liaison with the Princeton University Center for African American Studies, they write their thoughts on one of my favorite blogs: The Kitchen Table.

2 comments:

JCF said...

I have only one problem w/ Melissa Harris-Lacewell...

...is that she's so freaking CUTE (and the pic you posted here does not remotely do her justice), it's distracting, from her wise words! ;-)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I know exactly what you mean. And, she recently posted something about her double chin. She's physically stunning, isn't she? Then, she opens her mouth and . . . well . . . WOW.

I am hoping to carve out some time next year to take a course with her. She's just so brilliant, I can't wait to lean from her.