Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Preach it, baby!


There is a particular phase of sermon writing and development when the preacher hits a wall and just can't move any further in her thoughts.

This is the time when most preachers will find Something - Anything - to do as a way to find another outlet of creative energy.

I used to think it was 'procrastination' and maybe, sometimes, it is. I have come to embrace these moments as part of the spiritual and creative process of writing a sermon. I have learned that these moments are an opportunity for me to get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit take over.

Sometimes, I play solitaire. Other times, I do laundry or ironing. Often, I cook. Having done all those things, this morning, I surfed the web.

I found this over at MadPriest's site. Of course, I did. A part of me is scared to death for this little one. Is he just doing a brilliant imitation of his pastor or is he really caught up in the spirit and preaching the word - albeit in baby talk?

Another part of me thinks, well, see, preaching is so easy, even a baby can do it. Well, in this style anyway.

The kid's got all the moves. Even the little "Holy Spirit" dance steps. I figure he'll either grow up to be a preacher, a stand-up comedian, or a used car salesman.

Then, I found this:



I'm guessing this kid's not going to be working at Mac Donald's when he grows up. Actually, we might be watching the next great James Brown.

No matter. This kid's got it goin' on!

Now, if I could just get it goin' on and finish writing my own sermon! I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to preach this particular set of lessons (Jonah 3:10 - 4:11; Philipians 1:21-30) and especially this gospel (Matthew 20:1-16) in these uncertain economic times in this particular community of faith.

Deep Sigh! Maybe I could just stand in the middle of the church and shout "Hallelujah!" a few times and do a little Holy Spirit Dance.

I just wish the Holy Spirit would finish up whatever She's doing elsewhere in the world and pay a visit.

Everybody sing: "Someone's trying to preach, Lord, Come by here."

"Oh, Lord, come by here." Amen.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Oh I had seen that baby before it got to Maddie's... sheesh!!!

I think it keeps saying Jesus but I am too afraid to listen too closely!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Me either, Fran, but did you catch the other one? He's quite something in that suit and all. Not to worry, James Brown. Your legacy has found a new home.