Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Goin' Gullah


I'm headed out to the beach - that would be Rehoboth, of course - to continue reading and cooling off (I'm halfway through Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina". Still Really Great after all these years. I hope to start "The Story of Edgar Sawtell" by David Wroblewski on Saturday).

The Fourth of July Festivities are anticipated to be a bit hampered by the prediction of rain, so we're all trying to get in our beach time today.

I have discovered "Gullah" cuisine - from the lowlands of South Carolina and Georgia - which is "home" (an odd term in this context) of the descendants of the slaves who were brought to this country from Ghana, West Africa.

I got this wonderful recipe for Spicy Shrimp and Creamy Grits from this restaurant, The River Room in Georgetown, South Carolina.

I've made it twice. It's to die for. Honest. I hope to make it again Saturday night for company.

The beauty of it is that you can get everything ready before your guests arrive, start cooking the grits, then start the shrimp, and in 20-25 minutes you are at the dinner table and enjoying a FABULOUS meal.

I am going to have to call them back for their recipe for Peach Cobbler. It was served hot and didn't even need Ice Cream. Yum. Yum.

GULLAH SPICY SHRIMP

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 slices bacon, diced
* 6 to 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and cleaned
* 1/2 cup sliced green onions
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
* dash garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* salt, to taste
* dash ground cayenne pepper or Tabasco, optional

PREPARATION:

In a large skillet, cook bacon until cooked but not crisp; add mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms until just tender, adding a little oil or butter if needed; add shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add green onions and parsley; continue cooking for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, Creole seasoning, and a dash of garlic powder. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through and liquid has reduced and slightly thickened. Taste and add pepper, salt, and cayenne, to taste.
Serves 4.


CREAMY GRITS

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 can (1 2/3 cups) chicken broth
* 1 cup water
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup quick grits

PREPARATION:

Bring heavy cream, chicken broth, and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add butter, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in grits and reduce heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently. Serve in place of rice with shrimp, pork tenderloin medallions, lamb chops, or other meat or poultry.
Serves 4 to 6.

9 comments:

Jon M. Richardson said...

Is this the recipe for the shrimp grits from my birthday??? I hope so! That was the BEST!!!! :)

Fran said...

Have a great time! And that recipe sounds amazing, I am going to try making that one.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Yup, Jon. I like and said it was from Louisiana so you would feel better, but it really was from S.C.

Fran, give it a try and let me know how it turns out. It's all that. Honest.

Jon M. Richardson said...

To be honest, I trusted that the grits recipe was from Louisiana, but the idea of "shrimp grits" I knew to be not cajun. But being the polite southerner that I am, I never would have corrected you in the midst of your outstanding display of hospitality... We eat lots of shrimp and lots of grits, but I never had the two together until leaving Louisiana.

But who cares... It's GOOD!!!

JimMollo said...

Had 'em. Yummm!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

The guy at the River Room was from NOLA so I trust the shrimp recipe. The grits he combined with the shrimp once he got to the lowlands. It's a divine combination as you know. Let's make it for you mom the next time she comes to visit.

PS - You can "cheat" and use low fat half 'n half instead of heavy cream in the grits. Tastes just as good, no one can tell the difference and it's better for you. Same thing with the chicken broth - use low fat.

June Butler said...

"Anna Karenina" is one of my favorites, and Gullah cuisine sounds yummy. Enjoy the beach!

airedale said...

This looked so good and easy so I tried it tonight. All I can say is that it was fabulous. Thanks so much for a wonderful dinner and for your blog!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, I'm soooo glad. Wonderful. I used Vietnamese prawns in mine. They cook up much plumper. But, it doesn't matter. The simplicity and the seasonings done to your taste are what make this so amazing.