Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Hymn for Groundhog Day - February 2nd.

Jamie Peabody from Knoxville, TN sent this to me, saying, "I'm getting ready for my day with 4 year olds tomorrow and I ran across this and thought all might get a chuckle."

Cue the organist and warm up the choir.

And, please, no chuckling in church.

For goodness sakes!

Don't you know we're in the midst of "the great sexual morality debate" which is bringing about heresy and schism in the church!

Oh, wait! Didn't Jamie say that this is for four year olds?

Well, maybe a vicarious chuckle or two - but not one more!

I'm quite certain that it is written somewhere in the "Anglican Book of Church Ettiquette" that it's not polite to chuckle while the church is in schism (try saying that three times fast!)

About a Thousand Hours Till Spring
Tune = O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
© 2000 by Don Halley

About a thousand hours till spring
Six weeks of wintry days
He saw his shadow this morning
That's what the groundhog says

Additional verses which came to me early this morning . . .

A groundhog by the name of Phil
From Pennsylvania
Predicts the weather – good or ill
Meteorological hysteria

In early morning, rain or shine
Men gather him to greet
Prognostication is divine
Clairvoyance, Phil’s great feat

Under the shadow of his form
There lie the seeds of hope
His prophecy may well prove wrong
And all this but a joke.

Still we arise at break of dawn
To hear his augury
This ritual of boredom born
Is quite too much for me!



(Big finish now . . . .)

AAAAAAA ........ MEN!

2 comments:

Bateau Master said...

I think I hear the tones of America in the background ........yep, its them!

"Muscrat Suzie, Muscrat Sam do the jidderbug ....."

: ) - Happy Groudhog Day!

MadPriest said...

I'm sure this is very good, but I haven't got the foggiest what you're on about. Everything I know about Groundhogs came from a Bill Murray film. We don't have the critters England.