Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Well, that was fast!

A CARTOON DIAGRAM OF CLASSIC ANGLICAN DIALOGUE
I am informed by the author of the Weblog APOSTOLICITY that the offending pictures (and all of the comments) have been removed.

"I take your point," he said, protesting, "It was meant in jest."

Right!

He was also fairly incredulous at the thought that I hadn't seen the film, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

Indeed, I have.

Actually, I'm sure he found this hard to believe, my being a girl and all, but I've actually read the entire series of books by C.S. Lewis.

Several times.

I think seeing the movie was suppose to have made a difference in my understanding his humor.

It's still not funny. It remains deeply offensive. As do the comments about rape, which he left up because, even though he admits they are "over the top," he didn't write them. Indeed, they were written, he claims, by a member of the Via Media Group in his diocese.

I know. You just can't make this stuff up.

You know, I've been saving this cartoon drawing of Anglican Dialogue for an appropriate time. This seems as good a time as any to trot it out.

See? This is how conversation is supposed to go. All in good order and decency. Both sides making every attempt to meet somewhere in the middle. Indeed, until just recently, this has been the hallmark of conversation in The Episcopal Church in particular and in The Anglican Communion in general.

Remember? I know, it seems a long, long time ago on a planet in a galaxy far, far away, but I do remember. Do you?

It's really hard to find common ground when your beginning point of discussion is to the right of Atilla the Hun and you are hell bent on the destruction of The Episcopal Church you claim to love.

Maybe if we hold each other accountable when we cross the line, we'll have a better chance of finding our way back to the middle again.

It takes work and vigilance and patience, but, I think it's worth the effort.

I think I'll go light a candle now. I don't know about you, but right about now I need a little flicker of light in the darkness.

1 comment:

Fr. Christopher Cantrell SSC said...

It was fast - You called me to account - I responded - we blogged - we emailed - I prayed, I imagine you did too - I blogged again. Take another look.

If you don't believe me about Ed Adcock being with Via Media - write to him - he left his email address on the comment (It's now been edited also - the comment, not the address.)

Happy Thanksgiving