Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, November 19, 2006

How to Understand a Sermon

One of my seminarians is preaching. And I am glad. I am very glad, indeed.

Today's gospel is a real pip.

Indeed, all of the lessons are not the easiest to preach.

And, the Stewardship Packets are being distributed today. YIKES!

In the Revised Common Lectionary, the lessons are:

Track I: I Samuel 1:4-20, I Samuel 2:1-10

Track II: Daniel 12:1-3, Psalm 16

Hebrews 10:11-14, [15-18], 19-25, Mark 13:1-8

Were I to preach, I fear most of you would find yourself in the lower third of the cartoon above.

I hope to post Megan's sermon later on today, but for those of you who would like to read what MadPriest has to say, head on over to his blog for a most excellent treat.

Look for "Freedom Is A Heady Wine."

And, thanks MadPriest

(I'm trying to persuade him to swap pulpits with me sometime in the near future. I'm hoping that the old saying is true: "Flattering will get you everything." Pray, sisters and brothers, that this works. I don't think he'd fancy the alternative approaches.)

No comments: