Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Just War Theory

This is my favorite cartoon from the National Catholic Reporter (NCR) files.



I don't think it needs a caption, but I do wonder exactly which part of the "JWT" has given them such a giggle.

Anyone out there want to venture a guess? Best caption wins a free map to the exact secret location of the Weapons of Mass Destruction.

3 comments:

Lisa Fox said...

Elizabeth, I saw the cartoon before I read your comment. When I saw the image, I thought the two figures were Jesus and Mahatma Ghandi. And they're cracking up that there would be any such thing as a "just-war theory." For they were both quite clear: Murder is wrong. Killing is wrong. So war is wrong. And you can't cloak it in some theory of "just war." It worked for me. But I'm a simple person.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

God help us indeed.

David said...

I certainly understand where Grace is coming from. But I think my objections to "Just War" theory are the same as the ones I have to that old, sententious saying, "Hate the sin, not the sinner."

That maxim always seems to be hauled out by people who want to use the word "hate" and still feel clean afterwards. And everyone I've heard harping on about "Just War" seems to be focused on the "War" part, with short shrift given to "Justice"...